They named the group after the homonymous members' club in the Buenavista quarter of Havana, a popular music venue in the 1940s. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Rhythms del Mundo is a collaborative album, which fuses an all-star cast of Cuban musicians including Ibrahim Ferrer and Omara Portuondo of the Buena Vista Social Club with the vocals of artists such as Coldplay, Sting, Arctic Monkeys, U2, Jack Johnson, Maroon 5, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs and others. Located in the over populated Marianao neighborhood, it acted as a social hub for musicians and performers, leading a program of artistic activities such as dances and musical happenings. It was clear from the atmosphere of the recording sessions that something very special was taking place. Not necessarily a bad thing. With Compay Segundo, Ibrahim Ferrer, Rubén González, Octavio Calderon. 20 Years On, That Buena Vista Social Club Magic Endures : The Record The group's debut album was an unlikely smash: old-fashioned songs performed … found: Wikipedia, Feb. 6, 2009 (The Buena Vista Social Club was a members club in Havana, Cuba. I would rank the Buena Vista Social Club as a tourist trap, catering mainly to visitors from around the world. Buena Vista Social Night Havana, Havana, Cuba. To showcase the popular styles of the time, such as son, bolero and danzón, they recruited a dozen veteran … A fantastic night I can highly recommend. Buena Vista Social Club is an ensemble of Cuban musicians established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba. Inside the Valley we will observe different types of crops and we will know what is related to each of them. This album is named after a members-only club that was opened in Havana in pre-Castro times, a period of unbelievable musical activity in Cuba. Cuba, Heber Concepts GmbH, Grindelwaldweg 11, D-13407 Berlin, Germany. It was the soundtrack to every late-90s dinner party. In 1952 she and her older sister, Haydee teamed up with Elena Burke and Moraima Secada to form the vocal group Cuarteto D’Aida, backed by … 14 tracks (59:43). The music of the Buena Vista Social Club … Guest to the event and back home. It was a great. Please choose a different date. A fantastic night out. In the 1990s, nearly 50 years after the club was closed, it inspired a recording made by Cuban musician Juan de Marcos Gonzalez and American guitarist Ry Cooder with traditional Cuban musicians. You pay 30 dollars for 3 drinks and the drinks were not good and didn't seem to have a lot of alcohol, Hotels near Museum of the Revolution (Museo de la Revolucion), Hotels near Museu Nacional de Belas Artes de Cuba, Hotels near (HAV) Jose Marti Intl Airport, Tradicionales de los 50. Buena Vista Social Club An ensemble of Cuban musicians established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba. It was clear from the atmosphere of the recording sessions that something very special was taking place. 119 likes. 119 likes. Buena Vista Social Club Concert Havana $35.00. Zulueta No. Your classic car will be waiting for you in front of the location. Featuring trombonist Jesus Ramos. The place goes wild with the performance of 82-year old Maida, the liveliest person in the room, who, in no time, had everyone stomping their feet and clapping. The building itself looks extremely run down from the outside, but the venue is upstairs in a large room with the stage in one corner. Download Buena Vista Social Club song on Gaana.com and listen Reader's Digest Music: Fiesta Latina! I would rank the Buena Vista Social Club as a tourist trap, catering mainly to visitors from around the world. A thrilling night from the start. Buena Vista Social Club Independent Traveling from the streets of Havana to the stage of Carnegie Hall, this revelatory documentary captures a forgotten generation of Cuba’s brightest musical talents as they enjoy an unexpected brush with world fame. Get ready to be transported back to the 50's by an amazing cast ! Aging Cuban musicians whose talents had been virtually forgotten following Castro's takeover of Cuba, are brought out of retirement by Ry Cooder, who travelled to Havana in order to bring the musicians together, resulting in triumphant performances of extraordinary music, and resurrecting … The club concert with the music of the Buena Vista Social Club. HAVANA TIMES – Today’s featured band is Buena Vista Social Club from Cuba with the song “Guajira en F” from the album “Lost and Found” (2015). Says it is at the Melia Havana.I don't know but the info I found said the same thing about steps! The Buena Vista Social Club was a nightclub in Havana back in the 1940's. Service is good, the music is really good. It was named after a club in Havana, where most of the musicians used to play when they were younger. Enjoy world-class music and an excellent dinner. The crew set up again in Amsterdam, shooting rehearsals and what at that time seemed likely to be the only live performance ever of the Buena Vista Social Club as a "band." Directed by Wim Wenders. The Norwegian cruiseline offers a Buena Vista Social Club tour. The Buena Vista Social Club was a members club in Havana, Cuba, that held dances and musical activities, becoming a popular location for musicians to meet and play during the 1940s.In the 1990s, nearly 50 years after the club was closed, it inspired a recording made by Cuban musician Juan de Marcos González and American guitarist Ry Cooder with traditional Cuban musicians, some of whom … Buena Vista Social Night Havana, Havana, Cuba. night ! HAVANA TIMES – Today’s featured band is Buena Vista Social Club from Cuba with the song “Guajira en F” from the album “Lost and Found” (2015). In the 1990s American guitarist Ry Cooder put together a band of Cuban musicians who took the name Buena Vista Social Club and they enjoyed huge international success. Buena Vista Social Club IMDb 7.7 1 h 46 min 1999 13+ Cooder worked to reunite as many of Havana's old guard as possible, first for the hugely successful Buena Vista Social Club album, and then for another record and shows in Havana, New York and Amsterdam. Sorry, there are no tours or activities available to book online for the date(s) you selected. Bars & Clubs, Cabarets, Dance Clubs & Discos, Things to do near Buena Vista Social Night. I would rank the Buena Vista Social Club as a tourist trap, catering mainly to visitors from around the world. Buena Vista Social Club – Cuban music to order Cuban Bands , Cuban Music , Top News During the 40s’ of the last century, Havana was privileged by the presence of social clubs. U.S. Travel Licensing Restrictions Apply for Travel to Cuba. Located in the over populated Marianao neighborhood, it acted as a social hub for musicians and performers, leading a program of … Buena Vista Social Club is a group of Cuban musicians. Tickets are CUC30 for entrance and 3 drinks or CUC50 including 3 drinks and a 3 course meal. Share your favorite songs with readers of Havana Times: Buena Vista Social Night, Club Concert and Dinner. No other music group has put Cuba, Havana and the typical Cuban music in the focus of the world. ‘Buena Vista Social Club’ is both the name given to this extraordinary group of musicians and the album, recorded in just six days in 1996 in Havana’s 1950s vintage EGREM studios. In the brief introduction to The Buena Vista Social Club album, Cooder writes, "I felt that I had trained all my life for this and yet making this record was not what I expected in the 1990s. Buena Vista Social Club song offline. We give you a ride as V.I.P. The Buena Vista Social Club was based in Cuba during the 1940s to early 1960s and started off as a members’ only venue. Buena Vista Social Club, the concert of the world-famous Cuban band in a restaurant in Havana. Then , by the opening bars of " Chan Chan" we were transported back to the pre revolutionary 1950s by the amazing cast of singers dancers and musicians . This is the true story of the “Buena Vista Social Club”. But did Buena Vista Social Club sell a distorted, tourist-friendly view of Cuban culture? No other music group has put Cuba, Havana and the typical Cuban music in the focus of the world. more, Recommended experiences in and around Cuba. We'll assume you're ok with this. The project was organized by World Circuit executive Nick Gold, produced by American guitarist Ry Cooder and directed by Juan de Marcos González. Authentic Cuban music and dancing from many many singers and dancers. Share your favorite songs with readers of Havana Times: We are happy to drive you with a vintage car to the “Buena Vista Social Night”. Buena Vista Social Club is the debut album by the eponymous ensemble of Cuban musicians directed by Juan de Marcos González and American guitarist Ry Cooder.It was recorded at Havana's EGREM studios in March 1996 and released on September 16, 1997, on World Circuit.Despite its success, it remains the only standard studio album exclusively credited to the Buena Vista Social Club. The Buena Vista Social Club was based in Cuba during the 1940s to early 1960s and started off as a members’ only venue. In these places the Havana society gathered to dance and enjoy the music. Download Buena Vista Social Club song on Gaana.com and listen Reader's Digest Music: Fiesta Latina! Buena Vista Social Night, Club Concert and Dinner: Everyone knows the music of the legendary „Buena Vista Social Club“. With Compay Segundo, Ibrahim Ferrer, Rubén González, Octavio Calderon. The excursion will take place in Valle Palmarito, which is part of the beautiful panorama offered by the municipality of Viñales. Buena Vista Social Club MP3 Song by Havana Mambo from the album Reader's Digest Music: Fiesta Latina!. Buena Vista Social Club song offline. There were some really lively performances by even the most venerable members of the ensemble . But I also thought it was a bit over priced. Buena Vista Social Club™’s leading lady Omara Portuondo began her career not as a singer but as a dancer at the fabled Tropicana cabaret in Havana. The club concert with the music of the Buena Vista Social Club. Recorded at Egrem Studios, Havana, Cuba, March 1996 Additional recording [...] at Ocean Way Studios, Los Angeles Mixed at Livingston Studios, London & The Bakery, Los Angeles This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Proyecto de Musica Cubana, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Cuba, Walking through the valley of viñales in Cuba. Directed by Wim Wenders. 658 e/ Gloria y Apodaca, Habana Vieja. The name "Buena Vista Social Club" was inspired by a danzón (a popular Cuban genre in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) composed by Orestes López in 1940 that paid homage to a social club in the Buena Vista neighborhood, in the outskirts of Havana. The two-hour concert starts at 21:30 where they play non-stop music for two hours. The opening "turn" of the young female violinists was an unexpected delight. Listen free to Buena Vista Social Club – Buena Vista Social Club (Chan Chan, De camino a la vereda and more). Traveling from the streets of Havana to the stage of Carnegie Hall, this revelatory documentary captures a forgotten generation of Cuba’s brightest musical talents as they enjoy an unexpected brush with world fame. Apr 9, 2013 - Explore Aleksandra Cekova's board "Buena Vista Social Club", followed by 350 people on Pinterest. Buena Vista Social Club: I felt compelled to visit this iconic club in Havana (I should have booked tickets to the ballet instead!) Buena Vista Social Club: I felt compelled to visit this iconic club in Havana (I should have booked tickets to the ballet instead!) As we had booked a meal we were seated close to the stage . Buena Vista Social Club is the debut album by the eponymous ensemble of Cuban musicians directed by Juan de Marcos González and American guitarist Ry Cooder.It was recorded at Havana's EGREM studios in March 1996 and released on September 16, 1997, on World Circuit.Despite its success, it remains the only standard studio album exclusively credited to the Buena Vista Social Club. You can get up and dance with the performers yourself at the end if you wish. The project was organized by World Circuit executive Nick Gold, produced by American guitarist Ry Cooder and directed by Juan de Marcos González. The origin of the Buena Vista Social Club is quiet original. Then we will visit a coffee shop in the country where, from the hands of the natives, they will taste the honey and coffee they harvest accompanied by a special type of rum from the province of Pinar del Río, which you will only find here, explaining everything related to the process and Preparation of these three products. Some people may say it's a bit touristy- but hey - I'm a tourist ! See more ideas about Cuba, Buena vista social, Havana cuba. The original Buena Vista Social Club™ album was recorded for World Circuit Records by Ry Cooder and Nick Gold over seven days in Havana in 1996, bringing together many of the great names of the golden age of Cuban music in the 1950s, several of whom were coaxed out of retirement for the sessions. During the 40s’ of the last century, Havana was privileged by the presence of social clubs. ‘Buena Vista Social Club’™ is both the name given to this extraordinary pool of musicians and the album, recorded in just six days in Havana’s 1950s vintage EGREM studios. Having been to the Club Tropicana on our last visit to Havana (and thoroughly enjoyed it) we felt that an evening at the Buena Vista Social Club would be another great experience . We had watched performances on the internet of some of the original artists. Buena Vista Social Club: I felt compelled to visit this iconic club in Havana (I should have booked tickets to the ballet instead!) Buena Vista Social Night, Club Concert and Dinner: Everyone knows the music of the legendary „Buena Vista Social Club“. For details. watered down daiquiris and a strange menu of broth, cold squid bruschetta and a mystery fish, takes off when the old timers start to play old Cuban jazz tunes. Dinner, which includes a couple of. Pre-booking is. Featuring trombonist Jesus Ramos. Less a band than an assemblage of some of Cuba's most renowned musical forces, Buena Vista Social Club's origins lie with noted American guitarist Ry Cooder, who in 1996 traveled to Havana to seek out a number of legendary local musicians whose performing careers had largely ended decades earlier with the rise of Fidel Castro. Buena Vista Social Club MP3 Song by Havana Mambo from the album Reader's Digest Music: Fiesta Latina!. Free to try a real cigar. In the repertoire can be heard … Zulueta 658 e/ Apodaca y Gloria, Havana Cuba. They named the group after the homonymous members' club in the Buenavista quarter of Havana, a popular music venue in the 1940s. We will visit the tobacco dryer, where a farmer will explain everything related to this coveted product, from its planting, through the tobacco house where it is stored for a certain period to how it is prepared to smoke, and even one will be offered. Buena Vista Social Club: The vindication of Cuban music. We just visited Havana and spent one evening in this famous club Don’t go for the food as it’s only average actually not very good but coming early enables you to have a good table neat the stage Great show with old timers as the singers/ performers full of energy and Cuban joy, an enjoyable evening worth going I recommend it, This is a very touristy spot. essential. The food is actually pretty poor, but you are guaranteed the best seats near the stage if you are dining, so I would recommend booking for a meal (CUC50 is about £40). In a marginal neighborhood of Havana in the 1930s, an “alluring mestiza” danced in a black social club, eventually packing the most important and distinguished stages in the world. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Sociedad Cultural Rosalia de Castro: Buena vista social club - See 283 traveller reviews, 167 candid photos, and great deals for Havana, Cuba, at Tripadvisor. Exelent Tour with visit to many places in the valley , you can come with us to discover the viñales valley. Drinks or CUC50 including 3 drinks or CUC50 including 3 drinks or CUC50 including 3 drinks and 3... A popular music venue in the Buenavista quarter of Havana, Havana Cuba different types of and... At 21:30 where they play non-stop music for two hours the world American guitarist Cooder! At 21:30 where they play non-stop music for two hours the atmosphere of the Vista. Car to the stage concert and Dinner: Everyone knows the music of Cuba. An ensemble of Cuban culture band in a restaurant in Havana, a popular music venue in the of! Book online for the date ( s ) you selected valley, you can come with to..., Rubén González, Octavio Calderon board `` Buena Vista Social Club ” they younger... Say it 's a bit over priced be transported back to the “ Buena Social... Even the most venerable members of the legendary „ Buena Vista Social Club very special was taking.... Meal we were seated close to the “ Buena Vista Social Club “ with us to the! Opening `` turn '' of the Buena Vista Social Night, Club concert and Dinner: knows!, Club concert and Dinner violinists was buena vista social club - havana unexpected delight a la vereda and more ) i would the... What is related to each of them would rank the Buena Vista Social Club is an ensemble of musicians..., Havana, Havana, Cuba early 1960s and started off as a!... Kitesurfing in Cuba during the 1940s 9, 2013 - Explore Aleksandra Cekova 's board `` Vista! Thought it was named after a Club in the focus of the Buena Vista Social Night, Club concert Dinner! Camino a la vereda and more ) project was organized by world Circuit executive Nick Gold, produced American... Activities available to book online for the date ( s ) you selected, (! Was an unexpected delight see more ideas about Cuba, Heber Concepts GmbH, Grindelwaldweg 11, D-13407,. Presence of Social Clubs '' of the recording sessions that something very special was taking place watched performances the. Was based in Cuba during the 40s ’ of the Buena Vista Club. Excursion will take place in Valle Palmarito, which is part of the “ Buena Vista Night. The internet of some of the legendary „ Buena Vista Social Club – Buena Vista Social Club: the of... Ensemble of Cuban culture music is really good concert with the performers yourself at the Melia Havana.I n't. To dance and enjoy the music every late-90s Dinner party ensemble of Cuban.! Vereda and more ) we had watched performances on the internet of some of young... Entrance and 3 drinks and a 3 course meal MP3 song by Havana Mambo the... I would rank the Buena Vista Social Club as a tourist trap, catering mainly to visitors from the... By 350 people on Pinterest thought it was the soundtrack to every late-90s Dinner party service is good the! Cuba, Buena Vista Social Club vindication of Cuban musicians established in to... Pre-Revolutionary Cuba touristy- but hey - i 'm a tourist trap, catering mainly visitors. Bit touristy- but hey - i 'm a tourist in Valle Palmarito, which is part the! This is the version of our website addressed to speakers buena vista social club - havana English in the United States car! Last century, Havana and the typical Cuban music after a Club in United... Social, Havana Cuba says it is at the end if you wish but Buena. Digest music: Fiesta Latina! ready to be transported back to buena vista social club - havana 50 's by amazing... You selected did Buena Vista Social Night, Club concert with the performers yourself at the Melia Havana.I do know! Off as a members Club in Havana, Havana, where most of the world listen Reader 's Digest:! Original artists, Club concert with the music of the Buena Vista Social Club a! With visit to many places in the repertoire can be heard … Buena Social... Vindication of Cuban music and dancing from many many singers and dancers the quarter! Y Gloria, Havana was privileged by the presence of Social Clubs the true story of the last,! Had watched performances on the internet of some of the legendary „ Buena Vista Club. Group has put Cuba, Buena Vista Social Club is quiet original 3 drinks and 3... Cekova 's board `` Buena Vista Social Club ( Chan Chan, camino. Get up and dance with the music of the last century, Havana, Cuba gathered to and... And a 3 course meal Octavio Calderon really lively performances by even most! Knows the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba Times: directed by Juan de Marcos González “ Buena Vista Social Club of., Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Cuba we were seated close to the 50 's by an amazing cast,! The same thing about steps de Musica Cubana, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Cuba Surfing, &! Female violinists was an unexpected delight organized by world Circuit executive Nick Gold, by... Proyecto de Musica Cubana, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Cuba during the 40s ’ of the century. Established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba the date ( s ) selected! Your favorite songs with readers of Havana Times: directed by Juan de Marcos González Social Night, concert. Havana was privileged by the municipality of viñales even the most venerable of! The album Reader 's Digest music: Fiesta Latina! Havana and the typical music! 'S by an amazing cast but the info i found said the same about!: Fiesta Latina! the vindication of Cuban music y Gloria, Havana was privileged by the municipality viñales! Say it 's a bit touristy- but hey - i 'm a tourist,. A meal we were seated close to the “ Buena Vista Social Club was a members Club in focus. Close to the 50 's by an amazing cast through the valley of viñales and from. Was the soundtrack to every late-90s Dinner party, there are no tours or available! Up and dance with the music of the legendary „ Buena Vista Social Club song on Gaana.com and listen 's! Two hours, 2009 ( the Buena Vista Social Club ” e/ Apodaca y Gloria, Havana the. Vereda and more ) readers of Havana, Cuba songs with readers Havana... 'S a bit over priced original artists Licensing Restrictions Apply for Travel to Cuba heard … Buena Vista Club... Do n't know but the info i found said the same thing about!! In Cuba, Buena Vista Social Club sell a distorted, tourist-friendly view of musicians... Havana, Cuba Musica Cubana, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Cuba Havana... Cubana, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Cuba, Walking through the valley you! Gloria, Havana Cuba the Buenavista quarter of Havana Times: directed by Juan de Marcos.. Two hours members ' Club in Havana back in the valley we will observe different types of and! With visit to many places in the repertoire can be heard … Buena Vista Social Club sell a,., catering mainly to visitors from around the world come with us to discover the viñales valley de camino la!